The 2013 Next Generation Luminaires (NGL) Design Competition outdoor lighting category winners were announced last week at the Strategies in Light conference in Santa Clara, Calif. The competition, sponsored by the Energy Department, the Illuminating Engineering Society of North America and the International Association of Lighting Designers, was launched in 2008 to promote excellence in the design of energy-efficient light-emitting diode (LED) commercial lighting fixtures, or “luminaires.”
A panel of six judges, drawn from the architectural lighting community, evaluated the entries in December at the Virginia Tech Transportation Institute in Blacksburg, Virginia, on characteristics such as lighting quality, appearance, serviceability, efficacy and value. The panel evaluated 68 entries from 41 manufacturers. Six entries, covering six different outdoor lighting types, were designated as Best in Class:
- Juno Lighting Group (Des Plaines, Ill.): Awarded Best in Class for its PL2 series bollard.
- LED Roadway Lighting (Halifax, Nova Scotia): Awarded Best in Class for its NXT-S™ local residential roadway fixture.
- Juno Lighting Group (Des Plaines, Ill.): Awarded Best in Class for its Finia building perimeter wallpack.
- Cooper Lighting/Eaton (Houston, Texas): Awarded Best in Class for its McGraw-Edison Top Tier parking and area luminaire.
- Cree (Durham, N.C.): Awarded Best in Class for its CPY250 canopy luminaire.
- Louis Poulsen Lighting (Fort Lauderdale, Fla.): Awarded Best in Class for its LP ICON LED pedestrian walkway fixture.
An additional 20 entries were deemed by the judges to have met the stringent requirements of the competition. These recognized winners represented a wide-range of manufacturers and lighting applications: collector roadway lighting, local residential roadway lighting, major roadway lighting, parking and area lighting, facade accent lighting, decorative exterior lighting, bollard pathway lighting, pedestrian walkway lighting, canopy perimeter lighting, building perimeter lighting, and tunnel lighting.