Columbia Electric Hosts Training on New Carbon-Monoxide-Alarm Law

April 1, 2006
Columbia Electric Hosts a training for the new Massachusetts state law requiring carbon-monoxide alarms that went into effect March 31.

A new Massachusetts state law requiring carbon-monoxide alarms went into effect March 31. Called “Nicole's law” for Nicole Garofalo, who died of carbon-monoxide poisoning in January 2005 at the age of seven after snow covered a vent connected to her family's propane boiler, the new law requires buildings with fossil-fuel burning equipment or enclosed parking areas to have carbon-monoxide detectors within 10 feet of each sleeping area on every level of the structure, including livable portions of basements and attics.

Serving southeastern Massachusetts with three locations, Columbia Electric hosted a two-hour informational session on March 16 for its electrical contractor customers to share the specific requirements of the new legislation.

“By bringing the folks on the front lines up to speed, namely our customers, we're doing our part to make sure Nicole's law does what it's supposed to — save lives,” said Geoff Murphy, president of the Brockton-based electrical supply company.

Sponsored Recommendations